Who Is God and Can I Really Know Him?Biblical Worldview of God and Truth
John Hay & David Webb 2009
What We Believe Series
Apologia Educational Ministries, Inc.
22 Town Farm Road Bldg #13
Westford, MA 01886
Apologia Educational Ministries, Inc.
1106 Meridian Plaza, Suite 220
Anderson, IN 46016
253 full-color, indexed pages, hardcover
We've recently been reading Who Is God? And Can I Really Know Him? by John Hay and David Webb. Let me tell you a bit about this wonderful book I recently received free from Apologia Educational Ministries in return for an honest review of the contents.
Do you have a hard time sharing what you believe about God with others? Do you have a hard time sharing it with your children? Do you or your children have a hard time sharing it with others? Do you want to make sure your children look at things from a Christian worldview? Check out what this beautiful book has to offer:
- Eye-appealing colorful pictures
- Easy to read larger type font
- Vocabulary definitions
- Bible verses to "hide" in the hearts of your children
- Thoughtful prayers
- Nicely outlined notebooking activities
- Thought-provoking questions
- Interesting Quotes
- Interesting Stories
- Basic Christian Truths and Biblical references from 8 different Bible versions
- Pictures of works of art by significant artists
- Biographical Sections about famous people
- There are even recipes for Phenomenal Brownies, S'mores Clusters and Creamy Mango Sorbet!
Volume 2 - Who Am I? (And Why Am I Here?)
Biblical Worldview of Self-Image ISBN 978-1-935495-08-6 (Summer 2010)
Volume 3 - Who Is My Brother? (And Why Do We Need Each Other?)
Biblical Worldview of Servanthood ISBN 978-1-935495-09-3 (2011)
Volume 4 - What On Earth Can I Do?
Biblical Worldview of Stewardship ISBN 978-1-935495-10-9 (2012)
The information in the book is presented in 10 different lessons, written directly to students ages 6 to 14, which contain:
- The Big Idea (main topic introduction)
- What You Will Do (learning objectives)
- Short Story (about children of ages similar to your child)
- Think About It (questions to dig deeper)
- Words You Need to Know (vocabulary significant to the lesson)
- Hide It in Your Heart (verses to memorize)
- Integrated Learning (additional articles on various related topics)
- What Should I Do (godly character traits for your child to strive for)
- Prayer (adaptable to individual or family use)
- Worldview Study (Biblical emphasis)
- House of Truth (a visual model memory-aid)
- Lesson 1: Where Am I Building My Life?
- Lesson 2: How Can I Know What's True?
- Lesson 3: What Is God Like (Part 1)
- Lesson 4: What Is God Like (Part 2)
- Lesson 5: Who Are The Father, The Son, And The Holy Spirit?
- Lesson 6: If God Created The World, Why Isn't It Perfect?
- Lesson 7: Why Did God Create Me?
- Lesson 8: Will God Meet All My Needs?
- Lesson 9: Why Does Sin Keep Me From Knowing God?
- Lesson 10: Is Jesus The Only Way To God?
The lessons definitely held her interest. The ages suggested for this book are pretty accurate, in my opinion. Having said that, the book can also be used and enjoyed by children a bit older too, probably up to age 16. Older children can definitely read this on their own, but we did the read-aloud thing for more discussion.
My favorite parts were the Biblical references, the vocabulary section, the notebooking activities and the memory verses. This book is beautiful and content-rich. I had a hard time thinking of anything that I didn't like about this book. I guess if there were anything I would do different it would be to stick with one Bible version. Then again, we all have a favorite version so the mixture was okay. The cost may look a bit expensive, but I think this one is worth it. (And I'm a thrift store shopper that rarely buys anything new!) I suspect we'll be checking into the other volumes too!
I received a free copy of this book from the vendor in return for an honest review. All comments and opinions are my own. I was not obligated to provide a positive review. No further compensation was received.
To see what other TOS Homeschool Crew members had to say about this book click here