P.O. Box 374
Covert, MI 49043
Not too long ago I had the pleasure of meeting Israel Wayne, the author of Homeschooling from a Biblical Worldview. This is one of the most scripture-filled (NIV), passionate books about homeschooling using a Biblical worldview I've read. Let me share a bit about the book to persuade you to go find a copy.
Mr. Wayne starts his Introduction by pointing out how discipleship of young children is not happening in modern American churches. In his book Israel reminds us that being sheltered from evil influences, being given a love of learning and the ability to reason, an emphasis on Godly character, consistent discipline, a modeled example of holy living, the call of God on our lives, training in a Biblical worldview, a freedom from peer pressure and a love of truth are all important parts of parenting and teaching our children to "know the God of their fathers". This book is, as he says, "a unique reflection on an educational philosophy that has undergirded my (Israel's) upbringing."
After 25+ years of homeschooling, and over fifteen years of publishing the Home School Digest, this book is an attempt at giving the reader a new perspective on parenting and homeschooling. Take a look at what you'll find . . .
Chapters in this 159 page paperback book include:
1. Keeping an Eternal Perspective
- Why Are We Homeschooling?
- The Obedience Factor
- The Biblical Mandate
- A Response to God, Not a Reaction to Public School
- God Wants the Hearts of Parents
- The Parents Eternal Key
- God Wants to Train and Equip Children
- The Student's Eternal Key
- God Wants to Use Us!
- Traditional Learning Methods Can Be Modified
2. A Biblical Education
- The Purpose of Education (Secular/Humanist, Marxist/Leninist, Capitalistic, Christian)
- The Controversy (Christian Worldview, Modernism, Post-Modernism)
- The Immoral Basis of Government Schooling
- A Christian Education
- The Teaching Method
- Researching and Learning by Doing
- Emphasizing Character Building
3. The Importance of Reason
- How the Liberals Operate
- We Need to Equip Our Children
- 12 Basic Rules/Guidelines for Rational Thinking
4. Teaching the Core Subjects (History, Science, Mathematics, Language Arts, Philosophy, Literature)
5. Counter Culture (High Culture, Folk Culture, Popular Culture, A Culture of Despair)
- A View From the Left
- Valid Multicultural Arguments
- The Value of Human Life
- Christian Education
- National Sovereignty
- A Biblical Model
7. Parents' Rights (Rights, Privileges, Responsibilities for Individuals, Families, The Church, Parent's Rights, Abuse of Authority)
8. Socialization or Socialism
9. Developing a Family Ministry
10. Common Excuses to Keep From Homeschooling (Money, Qualifications, Resources, Inadequate Education, Time, Children as "salt and light", Sports and Extra-curricular Activities, College)
Complete, well-reasoned, scriptural and convicting are only a few of the ways to describe this gem!
I have to admit that this book takes a while to read because there is so much to take in. If you are concerned about presenting your children with a Biblical Worldview while teaching them about academic subjects and life you should definitely read this!!
In addition, if you'd like to know more about the author click here to see an interview by Christianbook.com (purchase information is included also) or click here to visit Israel's website.
You can also click here to go to his Facebook page.
Because this is soooo good I want to share it with one of my readers. For a chance to win this book:
1. Leave me a comment telling me why you're interested in this book
2. For a second chance, visit Israel's Facebook page and "like" him.
3. For another chance, visit the Wisdom's Gate site at http://www.wisdomsgate.com/ and mention which of their products looks interesting.
4. For 5 more chances, blog about this review and giveaway and send me the link.
Drawing will be April 20th. Good luck all. Blessings!